Friday, August 25, 2017

First Line Friday #34



School started here on Wednesday and I can't believe my grandchildren are in 8th, 7th, 5th, 4th, 3rd, 2nd, and 1st. There are fourteen kiddos in those grades, and I can't believe how fast they are growing up! Today, I am featuring an upcoming release by Randy Singer, Rule of Law.






About the book:

What did the president know? And when did she know it?
For the members of SEAL Team Six, it was a rare mission ordered by the president, monitored in real time from the Situation Room. The Houthi rebels in Yemen had captured an American journalist and a member of the Saudi royal family. Their executions were scheduled for Easter Sunday. The SEAL team would break them out.
But when the mission results in spectacular failure, the finger-pointing goes all the way to the top.
Did the president play political games with the lives of U.S. service members?
Paige Chambers, a determined young lawyer, has a very personal reason for wanting to know the answer. The case she files will polarize the nation and test the resiliency of the Constitution. The stakes are huge, the alliances shaky, and she will be left to wonder if the saying on the Supreme Court building still holds true.
Equal justice under law.
It makes a nice motto. But will it work when one of the most powerful people on the planet is also a defendant?


First Line:

Sana'a, Yemen

They descended like vultures from the C-17 transport plane, silhouettes against a quarter moon in tar-black sky. 


What's your first line this week? Leave it in the comments, and then go visit my blogging my friends and see their first line.







11 comments:

Fiction Aficionado said...

I'm really looking forward to this one!

I've got the first line from "Will Not See" by Chautona Havig over on my blog today. Since it's the second book in the 'Sight Unseen' series, I thought I would share the first line (or two) from the first book in the series, "None So Blind", here:

"Her arm stretched out from beneath the covers. Later, she would admit that in that moment her world changed irrevocably."

Have a great weekend!

Caryl Kane said...

Sounds like a great story! I'm not familiar with Randy Singer.

Huge hands ripped at Cole Sanders' shirt and yanked him away from Audrey Vaughn's embrace. Tackling the Fields by Janet Ferguson

Have a wonderful weekend!

Unknown said...

I've never read one of Randy Singer's books, but I keep seeing them pop up and they look really good. This one especially.

I'm featuring "A Name Unknown" by Roseanna M. White on the blog today, but the closest book I have to me right now is "The Writing Desk" by Rachel Hauck.

"This should by night of triumph. To be queen of her world. An acclaimed, best-selling, award-winning author with the literati bowing at her feet."

Becky said...

Happy Friday! My first line is from Destitutio by Brett Armstrong, which I am excited to start reading:
“The grisly, grey swirls churned up before Marcus, a thin mask to the merciless heat.”

Paula Shreckhise said...

Conner O'Shea braced his boots against the auction block and glared at the crowd gathered on the landing.
From The Promise of Breeze Hill by Pam Hillman

Trisha said...

Happy Friday! Hope you have a wonderful weekend!
My first line this week is from Vow Unbroken by Caryl McAdoo
"He took the pinch of cotton Sue offered and rubbed it between his short, pudgy fingers."

Unknown said...

What a small world!!! I'm reading this right now too. So, instead of the first line, I will quote a favorite line instead.

"First it was Anwar al-Awlaki. Then Yazeed Abdul Hamid. Now Saleet Zafar. Don't you see? When one dies, another rises up to take his place. We cannot win a war against terrorists by becoming like them."

Unknown said...

I haven't read anything by this author yet, but he's on my list to try in the future. Sounds like a good book.

Beth Erin said...

Looks like a great read!

Alicia G. Ruggieri said...

I haven't read anything by this author yet, but I think I'll be putting him on my TBR list!
Happy Friday! Have a blessed weekend! :-)

Paula Shreckhise said...

The grandest adventure of her life waited on the other side of these tracks. That or the most humiliating debacle she'd ever created Either way, there was no going back. From Head in the Clouds by Karen Witemeyer.

These Tangled Threads: A Novel of Biltmore by Sarah Loudin Thomas Reviewed

  About the book: Title: These Tangled Threads: A Novel of Biltmore Author: Sarah Loudin Thomas Genre: Christian Historical Fiction, Histori...